Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GROWING UP IS HARD TO DO

I wanted to share this with everyone and should have blogged about this a couple of weeks ago, but it slipped my mind.  I was thinking about this last night. 

Austin will be entering Junior High next school year.  I know I know it makes me feel really old.  I remember being in Junior High and thinking my parents were so old.  Now the shoe is on the other foot and it doesn't feel so good.

2 weeks ago I had to take Austin in for his immunization shots for school and his physical for scouts.  Austin is very afraid of needles.  So there was a lot of anxiety leading up to the dreaded day of his appointment.  He knew he was getting shots but not a physical.  I didn't want to over whelm him too much.


So the day of the appointment comes and I could tell he was extremely nervous but trying to be brave.  The first thing they do is the easy part.  They get his weight and height.  My bouncing baby boy is now 100 lbs and 5'3". 

Next they do the eye exam.  And of course Austin's sidekick and little brother was there to help out.  Chance likes to yell out the letters on the eye chart to him or tell Austin when he's wrong.  So Austin is trying to tell the nurse what the letters on the chart while Chance is yelling "he said F, that's a P!!!!" and Chance says to the nurse "make him say P!!!!!"

So now where back in the room and waiting for the doctor.  Poor Austin kept saying "I don't want to get a shot, everyone at school said it hurts really bad".  Finally the doctor arrives and checks the heart beat, eyes, nose, throat, and other vitals.  Then it was the turn your head and cough test.  The doctor told him what he was going to do so he knew what to expect.  Austin looked at me with a look on his face like WTF.  Poor kid, I felt a bad for him.

Austin gets a clean bill of health and now has to wait for the nurse to come in with the shots.  I told Austin that we would go for Slurpee's afterwards hoping this would help ease the nerves if I put a silver lining to his day.  The nurse came in and Auggie was so brave he received the 3 shots with no fight, tears, or screaming.  I was very proud.

Then we get in the car and head to the convenient store for are Slurpee's I was praising Austin and telling him how proud I was and he did such a great job.  I looked over at him to see him go pale white; he slumped over in his seat and started to breath very heavily.  He said he felt really sick and like he was about to pass out.  I had him roll his window down to get some fresh cold air.  I asked if he wanted to go straight home but no he wanted that Slurpee.  Luckily his little episode passed quickly and by the time we got home he felt much better.

0 comments: